Given the landscape of the market, it is quite an uphill task choosing a sewing machine, one that best suits you.
No matter the level of your sewing skills, you definitely want a machine that is versatile, easy to use and most importantly, affordable.
If you are looking for a sewing machine that’s a good value for your money, then Janome is the ideal choice for you.
Janome is one of the top and upcoming brands of sewing machines, with a huge variety of sewing machines to choose from.
These sewing machines continue to remain popular among sewers mainly due to their affordability and durability. However, how will you choose the best Janome sewing machine, from their huge collection?
This article, contains the best Janome sewing machine reviews, in details, to help you choose the one right for you.
Importance of Janome sewing machine
- The machine offers professional embroidery to the home market.
- Offers the fourth generation long-arm quilting machines.
- Janome sewing machines cutting edge sewing technology aimed at improving sewing experience.
- The Janome sewing machines have earned a good a reputation in the sewing industry for over twenty years.
Benefits of Janome sewing machines
- Janome is well-known for its durable and long lasting sewing machines.
- Offers highly innovative machines at an affordable price.
- Janome machines offer different stitching options of up to 1200 stitches per minute.
- They are easy to use no matter one’s level of sewing skills.
What to look for before buying a sewing machine
- Any additional attachments needed for a sewing machine.
- The number of stitch options offered by the machine.
- Your budget.
- The purpose of a machine; whether to sew heavy duty fabric or light fabric.
- Basic must-have features, for instance, an automatic buttonholer that allows you to sew a buttonhole without turning or manipulating the fabric.
- Automatic features such automatic threading, for an easy sewing experience.
- A good sewing machine must be easy to use and responsive to pressure on the foot pedal. Comparison table: Best Janome sewing machines
Comparison Chart: Janome Sewing Machine
Before we delve into the review, let’s start off with this Janome sewing machine models list, for comparison:
|Janome 2206||View On Amazon|
|Janome 4120QDC||View On Amazon|
|Janome MOD-19||View On Amazon|
|Janome HD3000||View On Amazon|
|Janome JW8100||View On Amazon|
|Janome 5812||View On Amazon|
|Janome 3128||View On Amazon|
|Janome DC3050||View On Amazon|
|Janome Memory Craft Horizon 8200QCP||Janome Memory Craft Horizon 8200QCP||View On Amazon|
|Janome MOD-50||View On Amazon|
Here is a comprehensive review of the best Janome sewing machine models;
Janome 2206 Sewing Machine
If you are looking for a Janome sewing machine that is versatile, in that, it will ‘grow’ with your sewing skills, then Janome 2206 is the best sewing machine for you.
The free arm and the drop feed feature of this machine make it convenient to be used by any sewer no matter their skills.
Apart from being beginner friendly, this sewing machine has a superior quality built, offering superb functionality.
Additionally, the Janome 2206 offers 6 built-in stitches with a stitching speed of 860 stitches per minute thanks to its powerful motor.
The best part is that you can change the stitch width or pattern by a dial on the front of the machine.
This mechanical machine comes as a full package, meaning that you don’t have to pay extra cash for accessories since they are all included in the package.
It is for this reason that the machine is easy to set up in addition to being light-weight- it weighs 14.7 pounds.
Even though the machine doesn’t have an automatic threader, the manual one also just works fine and better than some automatic threaders on other sewing machines.Highlighted Features
- Free arm to allow versatility in terms of sewing skills.
- 4-step buttonhole.
- Stitch selection dial allowing for variation of stitches.
- 5-piece drop feed dog for more precise sewing results.
- Built-in thread cutter though not an automated one.
- Easy to thread despite the lack of an automated threader.
- The machine creates quite impressive stitches.
- A lightweight machine making it easy to carry.
- The machine is easy to use.
- Has limited number of stitches.
- The foot controller is made of plastic.
- It produces a lot of noise when running.
Janome 4120QDC Computerized Sewing Machine
The Janome 4120QDC is a computerized sewing machine with a couple of handy function buttons.
First, it has a thread cutter button that cuts the top and the bottom thread and for reinforced stitching, it also has a reversed stitch button. This makes the machine favorable for sewing all sorts of fabric both light and heavy duty.
With the lock stitch button, you are sure you won’t end up with a half a stitch pattern, all you have to do is dial the button and the machine will completely sew all your desired stitch pattern.
What sets the Janome 4120qdc sewing machine apart from the others is the 120 built-in stitches with a built-in alphabet.
This not only makes the machine good for quilting but also perfect for making labels and tags.
The only downside of this machine is that in the event the stitches mess a buttonhole you are working on, you have to start all over again.
As much as this sewing machine looks so sophisticated from its complex tech, I can guarantee you it is one of the easiest to use.
For starters, the machine as a package comes with an instructional manual CD to help you set it up.
Moreover, the package is inclusive of all the necessary accessories required for the functioning of the machine.Highlighted Features
- 120 built-in stitches with a built-in alphabet to allow versatility.
- Built-in automatic needle threader to get thread through the eye of the needle with ease.
- Jam proof loading Bobbin system letting you sew the edge of a fabric with ease.
- 7-step buttonholes to ensure you sew the right-size buttonholes.
- Strongly made thus its durable.
- The machine is easy to use.
- Decent stitch quality.
- It produces low amount of noise during its operation.
- 25 year limited warranty.
- Comes with abundant accessories.
- The only major area the manufacturer could improve is increasing the space between the sewing foot and platform.
- Low stitching quality in the letters.
Janome MOD-19 Easy-to-Use
The Janome MOD-19 is an affordable, beginner-friendly sewing machine with all the features you could look for in a starter set up.
It has 19 different stitches in basic, quilting, fashion and home décor including a four-step buttonhole allowing you to get creative with your project.
However, it is important to note that the machine is not ideal for heavy-weight materials like denim.
The needle threader on this machines saves you the eye strain from getting the thread through the eye of the needle, all you have to do is thread up the machine and leave the rest to the needle threader.
The plastic parts on the inside and the outside parts of this machines makes one question the quality and the durability of the machine.
But, I think with the 25-year warranty, it is safe to say that the machine is protected for pretty a long time.Highlighted Features
- Top loading Bobbin system.
- Adjustable stitches allowing to adjust the length and width of stitches.
- 5 piece feed dog to enhance the quality of stitches.
- Built-in needle threader convenient for putting the thread through the needle.
- Four-step buttonhole enabling you sew a buttonhole that matches the size of your button.
- Easy to use.
- 25 year warranty.
- Strongly built for durability.
- Offer quality stitches
- Some users complained of a small foot space.
Janome HD3000 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine
For sewers who like to work on heavy-duty fabrics, they know very well that mechanic sewing machines do not offer hundreds of stitches nor computer control.
Such machines are designed to do a few things but do them in an outstanding way. Such is the case with the Janome HD3000; a high performance and heavy duty sewing machine with a 1.0 amp motor, capable of sewing through multiple layers of heavy duty fabric, with ease. Although the machine is not as fancy as many of today’s computerized machines, you are assured of consistent performance day in day out.
Despite lacking a variety of features, the machine does incorporate all essential features making it a great starting point for beginners as well as intermediate sewers.
Compared to other mechanical sewing machines, the Janome HD3000 incorporates some special features that are rare to find in a typical mechanical model which makes it one of the best Janome sewing machine.
These features include; an onboard thread cutter and a needle threader, making it convenient especially when working on heavy duty machines.Highlighted Features
- Drop feed to offer versatility in terms of sewing skills.
- 1-step buttonhole.
- 7 piece feed dog.
- Extra high-pressure foot lift.
- Stitch selection dial to allow for stitch variation.
- 19 decorative and utility stitches.
- The machine can work on heavy fabrics.
- User friendly and good for beginners.
- Low maintenance required.
- Comes with a 25 years warranty.
- A very affordable sewing machine.
- Aesthetically, the machine is not that appealing, nevertheless, it is quality sewing machine worth investing in.
Janome JW8100 Fully-Featured Computerized Sewing Machine
Looking to upgrade from a basic sewing machine to a computerized one?
If yes, then I would recommend you go for the 100 built-in stitches, Janome JW8100. From the aesthetics point of view, there isn’t much different from a basic sewing machine, only that this machine has an LCD screen and a computerized functionality.
Basically, it a sleek, shiny white machine with an interior metal frame, though it doesn’t weigh that much- only 12.9 lbs.
what I love about this machine, apart from being easy to use, is the fact that it offers 100 built-in stitches at a pocket-friendly price.
This is a huge plus for any sewer, having in mind that there are other models that are more expensive yet offer less than 100 stitches.Highlighted Features
- Automatic reverse stitches for quality stitches.
- 100 built-in stitches that can make the same number of stitches within a minute.
- A start and stop button.
- Speed control slider thus you can operate at speed you are comfortable with.
- One-handed needle threader.
- Lightweight thus it is easily portable.
- Fit for sewers of all levels.
- Comes at very economic price.
- Has an impressive stitching speed.
- 25 years warranty.
- It makes a lot of noise while working on multi-layered fabric.
- Lacks a thread cutter.
Janome 5812 Sewing Machine
The fact this machine does not feature a needle threader nor a foot adjustment doesn’t mean it compromises on the quality of its functionality.
From its simple but sturdy design to its auto de-clutch bobbin winder, the sewing machine serves as an ideal choice for a kids & beginner looking for a less complicated machine.
The machine also features 12 built-in stitches including a 4-step buttonhole, making it a simple yet versatile machine for starters.
With the top loading bobbin feature of the Janome 5812, it allows you to monitor how much string is remaining.
One of the Janome 5812 strongest selling points is its powerful motor.
The motor provides sufficient power to sew through heavy-duty fabrics, like denim, which is not a usual scenario in most beginner friendly machines that are mainly characterized by being slow.
Besides being powerful, the motor is quiet and fast making it convenient to work with. With regards to being beginner friendly, the manufacturer did a great job by including the free arm.
Well, for starters, a sewing machine without this convenient feature is a deal breaker. Without the free arm, it would require some level of expertise to sew buttons as well as try out some creativity on a fabric.
The best thing is that the Janome 5812 offers the free arm feature at an affordable price.Highlighted Features
- 12 built-in stitches which includes a 4-step buttonhole.
- Drop-in bobbin that’s easy to use.
- Free arm.
- It has a Sturdy design to ensure stress-free sewing experience.
- The Janome 5812 is good quality stitches.
- Comes with an Extra-High pressure foot lifter.
- Lightweight thus easy to carry to your sewing classes or place of work.
- Simple but quality design.
- The machine lacks an automatic threader.
- No 1 –step buttonhole.
Janome 3128 Sewing Machine
Don’t be fooled by the basic looks of this ¾ sized entry level mechanical sewing machines.
It really does incorporate some amazing features, though limited, which are quite unique for a basic cloth making-machine.
The machine comes with an ergonomic dial pattern selector saving you a great amount of effort when trying to set your machines to stitch the way you want.
The 8 built-in stitches along with a 4 step buttonhole make it easy for a sewer to complete a project in a record time.
This machine can handle a variety of fabrics and stitches on top of being simple and easy to set up. As far as ease of use is concerned, the machine has a relatively lightweight thus easy to carry around as well as easy to set up in your workplace.
Generally, the Janome 3128 serves as a good machine for small sewing projects and basic cloth repairs.
Considering its price and its unique features, I think one can afford to overlook the fact that the machine lacks a few options, such as; stitch length control, thread cutter and lowering of feed dogs.Highlighted Features
- 8 built-in stitches.
- 4-step buttonhole and a stitch selection dial for convenience.
- Dial pattern selector.
- Swing Arm.
- A great value for money.
- Easily portable.
- Easy to use.
- May not be used for extremely advanced projects.
Janome DC3050 Computerized Sewing Machine
The Janome 4120QDC is a computerized sewing machine with a couple of handy function buttons.
One of the main reason why I recommend this sewing machine is that it is packed with lots of handy features necessary for a good sewing experience.
Generally, the Janome DC3050 is a fully computerized sewing machine ideal for quilting and sewing, available at a surprisingly low price. Probably, one of the main reason why this machine is familiar to many sewers is the precision it offers when it comes to stitching.
There are a total of 50 built-in stitches that vary from utility, decorative and heirloom.
This includes; 6 satin decorative stitches, 24 heirloom stitches, 3 1-one-step buttonholes, and a bi-directional blanket stitch; all with adjustable length and width.
The machine does a great job in saving a sewer the hassle involved in sewing buttonholes.
This is because it features an auto-sensing buttonhole size, meaning you don’t have to know the size of a buttonhole to sew one.
As expected the machine also features an automatic needle threader to make threading the machine easier and with fewer finger pricks.Highlighted Features
- 3 1-step buttonholes.
- A total of 50 built-in stitches.
- Powerful motor.
- LCD screen with a wide display.
- Has a 25 year warranty.
- Easy to use.
- Its speed can be controlled.
- Hardly ever jams.
- Has no hard cover.
- Has a small extension table.
Janome Memory Craft Horizon 8200QCP Special Edition
The Janome memory craft horizon 8200 is a feature-packed sewing machine ideal for intermediate sewers as well as professionals.
The machine boasts of sewing speeds of up to 1,000 stitches per minute making suitable for all kinds of projects- from bridal gowns to quilts.
With a whopping 8200 stitches, the 8200 offers you more stitches than you could possibly need as well as allowing you to be creative with your sewing.
What’s even better is that all these stitches are adjustable in length and width.
The machine has a large work-space about 11 to 12 inches away from the needle, making it convenient for quilters.
The drop feed control is perfectly situated on the right side of the machine just below the power switch button.
Speaking of buttons, you can’t help but marvel at the extremely light touch required to engage the buttons.Highlighted Features
- Top loading full rotary bobbin system.
- 170 built-in stitches including 3 alphabets.
- Auto-tension system.
- 7-piece feed dog.
- Speed controller slide.
- 10 one-step buttonholes.
- Offers large working area.
- Easy stitch selection.
- Programmable features for a customized sewing experience.
- It is quite expensive.
Janome MOD-50 Computerized Sewing Machine
Janome MOD 50 is a computerized sewing machine designed with cutting edge technology to meet the sewing needs of the 21st-century sewing industry.
It is also another beginner friendly ideal for creative beginners ready to explore quilting and sewing home décor.
The machine can sew a perfect 820 stitches per minute making it possible for you to work on a number of projects.
Nevertheless, the machine also features a speed control slider for slowing down the stitches, especially when stitching delicate patterns.
Like all other computerized models from Janome, this machine also comes with a well-lit LCD screen where you can easily keep tabs on what stitch you are on.
Moreover, the buttons are easy to navigate, helping you set your desired stitch length and width, effortlessly.Highlighted Features
- 50 built-in stitches including 3 one-step buttonholes.
- Top loading bobbin system.
- 7-piece feed dog system.
- Backlit LCD display.
- Incorporates high tech in sewing.
- Suitable for advanced projects.
- Easy to use.
- Not beginner friendly.
- It is a bit expensive.
There you have it! A list of the best Janome sewing machine reviews. Evidently, one common characteristic that defines Janome sewing machines is their heavy-duty construction and innovative features, aimed at redefining your sewing experience.
I would heavily recommend getting a computerized Janome sewing machine, mainly due to the unique and superior features offered. This includes the Janome’s Superior Feed System (SFS) designed to improve your stitching experience.
Whether you are beginner, intermediate or a professional sewer, you will definitely find a machine that best suits your skill, from the review above.
On top of it all, the machines are available at an affordable price, thus, readily available for anyone.